Conflict, even among well-meaning individuals, can wreak havoc in an organization. Conflict resolution is the process of resolving a dispute by providing for each party’s needs and addressing their interests so that they are each sufficiently satisfied with the outcome. It is important to understand the underlying needs rather than only looking at solutions. When that understanding is reached, it is possible to move from being adversarial to being cooperative.
Management Mpowerment Associates follows several guiding principles when working with clients on conflict resolution. They are:
- Dig down and identify the true needs of each stakeholder.
- Focus on what is objective rather than what is subjective.
- Create a space for innovative thinking.
- Concentrate on creating a win-win situation.
Our process involves the following steps:
- Discovery of the underlying needs.
- Recognition of individual differences.
- Creation of impartial criteria for the achievement of mutual success.
- Focusing on the problem not on the person.
There are a number of challenges that must be addressed in creating a framework for conflict resolution. They include unclear organizational and individual values; a disparity in power or authority; a WIIFM (what’s in it for me) mentality; competitiveness, individually and departmentally; no established boundaries defining healthy communication; and avoidance or failure to confront.
The results of our Conflict Resolution sessions are very positive. You will see:
- a marked in crease in emotional intelligence
- mutual respect
- broader understanding and more effective relationships
- more effective goal achievement, leading to higher productivity.